Search This Blog

Thursday 9 October 2014

The wile parent never forgets


Wile = devious or cunning stratagems employed in manipulating or persuading someone to do what one wants.

I'll tell you straight up ^ THIS ^ is my go to technique when wanting my children to do something I want them to do but they don't want to do.

This includes things like put their toys away, do their chores, eat their beans, be nice to each other.

Let me give you some examples. If one child doesn't eat all their dinner because 'they're full', 'they don't like beans', 'they're not hungry'... I WILL remember that and hold it to them later on when they want dessert or a snack. I'll say to them, "You can't have a snack, you're too full remember:" This lets them realise they need to finish their meals and eat those beans, like it or not, because it's good for them. That being said don't feed children a whopping plate and expect them to eat it all, that forms bad eating habits. You'll know what your child is able to manage.


I'll ask my children to tidy up their toys and I'll say it once and once only. I don't nag. I don't repeat. I don't sit there going on and on about how "I told you to put your toys away and you still haven't done it!" Too much stress. I say it... and wait... until they ask me for something they want and then I say, "Yes you can play xbox... once you've put your toys away."

While they're quietly thinking mums forgotten she asked me to put my toys away they soon realise I haven't forgotten at all!  I had a plan all along and I expect them to get the job done.

Children not being nice to each other, wont' stay in their room after bedtime, being disrespectful to either parent... I hold onto that, remember it, and pull it out when I need to. "No dessert for you because you disrespected your parent." "You're going to bed a bit earlier tonight because you didn't stay in bed last night."

Doing this keeps children on their toes. It makes them realise you're on the ball and they're required to be a specific way.

Try it next time you want something (and remember don't nag).  Let me know how you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment